Apply for Financial Aid
Federal Financial Aid Application Process
To start the federal financial aid process, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa . This is the very first step in determining a student’s eligibility for federal financial aid. Federal financial aid will be processed for newly admitted students after receiving an admissions acceptance and paying the requisite seat deposit of $100.
- Create FSA ID and Password
To expedite the completion of your FAFSA you should first create a FSA ID and Password, which will allow you to electronically sign the FAFSA. (If you do not create a FSA ID, you will need to print, sign, and mail the signature page).
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Complete and submit the FAFSA online as soon as possible after October 1st of the previous year you will be attending. Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine Federal School Code is 042933. The information you submit will be processed and you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in response. Log in to the FAFSA website to review this information and correct any errors as instructed.
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)
Your Student Aid Report (SAR) is a paper or electronic document that gives you some basic information about your eligibility for federal student aid as well as listing your answers to the FAFSA questions. Your SAR will indicate if you’re required to provide HMSOM with any additional information; such as citizenship documentation.
- Complete a Master Promissory Note & Loan Entrance Counseling
All student loan borrowers at HMSOM are required to complete a Master Promissory Note, and Loan Entrance Counseling. Requirements can be completed by logging into Studentloans.gov using your FSA ID and Password.
General Eligibility Requirements for Federal Aid
General eligibility requirements that must be met prior to a student receiving financial aid for most federal awards are as follows:
- Must file a FAFSA for the current award year
- Admitted as a degree-seeking student.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Must have a valid Social Security number (except for students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree program.
- Must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible for Direct Loan Program funds; generally, all HMSOM students are considered full-time status.
- Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- Must not be in default on any prior federal student loan or owe a federal overpayment for grants or loans.
- Must submit all requested documents and those documents must not be found to limit the student’s eligibility.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED certificate, or pass a test approved by the U.S. Department of Education or have completed a high school education in a home school setting approved under state law.
Must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for federal Direct Loan program funds. For additional eligibility requirements, visit: https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/eligibility/requirements