Admission Process and Procedures
How to Apply
We are interested in learning as much as possible about each of our applicants at Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine. We request that each applicant applying to the SOM submits the following:
AMCAS (Primary) Application DEADLINE: December 1, 2023
- The SOM participates in the American Medical College Application Service. Accordingly, we ask that you direct the service to forward your application to the SOM. Before applying, you should review the admissions requirements of the SOM in order to verify that you will be able to meet the minimum requirements for admission. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us.
Secondary Application DEADLINE: December 8, 2023
- A Secondary Application is required for all. The Secondary Application fee is $80 and must be submitted with the application (unless waived due to participation in the AMCAS Fee Assistance Program).* This additional application requires brief responses to three questions designed to gain a better understanding of their motivation to enter healthcare, as well as short and long-term goals.
*The deadline for the application cycle in which you are applying.
- To learn more about our secondary fee waiver and how to apply, please click the HMSOM Secondary Fee Waiver Request.
Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
The MCAT must be taken no later than September 30th of the year before you expect to begin medical school. For students entering in July 2024, the oldest acceptable MCAT is 2020. If you take the MCAT multiple times: The highest eligible score will be considered.
- Once your admissions application is complete it will be reviewed by our Admissions Committee. If after review the Admissions Committee deems you eligible to be interviewed, you will receive notification from our office with instructions on how to schedule an interview.
- Qualified applicants will be invited for an interview at SOM. An applicant will not be considered for an interview before their application is complete (please see the checklist below). The intent of the interview will be not only for SOM to learn about you, but also for you to learn about the SOM. The interviewer will strive to make the applicant comfortable asking questions and gathering information about the SOM. The ultimate goal of the interview will be to help both the SOM and you decide whether or not they are right for one another.
- Offers of admission will be made on a rolling basis by e-mail.
- Accepted applicants must respond within two weeks with their intention to accept or decline the offer of admission.
- A deposit of $100 will be required to accept the offer; the deposit is refundable on or before April 30th.
- All offers of admission are conditional upon receiving final transcripts and all other required information including a satisfactory criminal background check.
Checklist for Completed Application
- Verified AMCAS application
- Letters of Recommendation (review specific requirements above)
- We look forward to receiving your application!