Fortunato Battaglia, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Medical Sciences, Neurology and Psychiatry
Department of Medical Sciences
Dr. Fortunato Battaglia, M.D., Ph.D., is Professor of Medical Sciences and Director of the Neuroscience and Behavior Phase 1 systems course at the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine. He received his M.D. and Ph.D. from the University of Messina, Italy. He continued his post-doctoral training at the National Institutes of Health, New York University, and Columbia University. Dr. Battaglia joined the Medical School after several years at the School of Health and Medical Sciences at Seton Hall University.
His laboratory uses transcranial magnetic stimulation, transcranial direct current stimulation, and high-density electroencephalography as tools for brain research and therapeutic intervention in neurology and psychiatry. Currently, the focus of his research is Integrative Medicine. He is investigating the effect of complementary therapies and nutrition on cortical plasticity and their integration with conventional treatments (neuromodulation, behavioral treatments, and neuropsychopharmacology) in patients with neuropsychiatric diseases, co-morbid substance use disorders, aging, and stress. Another line of research focuses on wellness, mental health and health-risk behaviors in medical students.
- M.D., University of Messina Italy
- Ph.D., University of Messina, Italy
- Concerto C, Infortuna C, Muscatello MRA, Bruno A, Zoccali R, Chusid E, Aguglia E, Battaglia F.Exploring the effect of adaptogenic Rhodiola Rosea extract on neuroplasticity in humans. Complement Ther Med. 2018 Dec;41:141-146
- Infortuna C, Milisits TF, Shaju S, Desai JK, Patel SP, Sheikh AM, Chusid E, Han Z, Battaglia F. Effects of taurine acute intake on cortical excitability and post-exercise facilitation: A TMS study. Behav Brain Res. 2018 Sep 21
- Anna Muscatello MR, Bruno A, Genovese G, Gallo G, Zoccali RA, Battaglia F.Personality traits predict a medical student preference to pursue a career in surgery. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2017 Sep-Dec;30(3):211-214
- Mineo L, Fetterman A, Concerto C, Warren M, Infortuna C, Freedberg D, Chusid E, Aguglia E, Battaglia F. Motor facilitation during observation of implied motion: Evidence for a role of the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. Int J Psychophysiol. 2018 Jun;128:47-51
- Concerto C, Conti C, Muscatello MR, Signorelli MS, Zoccali R, Coira D, Aguglia E, Battaglia F. Sleep Quality, Perceived Stress, and Caffeinated Drinks Intake in Psychiatry Residents: A Cross-Sectional Study. J Caffeine Res. 2017 Mar 1;7(1):18-22.
- Mineo L, Concerto C, Patel D, Mayorga T, Paula M, Chusid E, Aguglia E, Battaglia F. Valeriana officinalis Root Extract Modulates Cortical Excitatory Circuits in Humans. Neuropsychobiology. 2017;75(1):46-51.
- Concerto C, Boo H, Hu C, Sandilya P, Krish A, Chusid E, Coira D, Aguglia E, Battaglia F. Hypericum perforatum extract modulates cortical plasticity in humans. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2018 Jan;235(1):145-153.
- Concerto C, Infortuna C, Chusid E, Coira D, Babayev J, Metwaly R, Naenifard H, Aguglia E, Battaglia F. Caffeinated energy drink intake modulates motor circuits at rest, before and after a movement. Physiol Behav. 2017 Oct 1;179:361-368.
- Mineo L, Concerto C, Patel D, Mayorga T, Chusid E, Infortuna C, Aguglia E, Sarraf Y, Battaglia F.Modulation of sensorimotor circuits during retrieval of negative Autobiographical Memories: Exploring the impact of personality dimensions. Neuropsychologia. 2018 Feb;110:190-196.
- Concerto C, Patel D, Infortuna C, Chusid E, Muscatello MR, Bruno A, Zoccali R, Aguglia E, Battaglia F. Academic stress disrupts cortical plasticity in graduate students. Stress. 2017 Mar;20(2):212-216.